Svijazhsk - formerly the city, now a rural village, located on an island in the River Volga in the forty-minute drive from Kazan. History of the base Svijazhsk seemed much more interesting than the examination of the place itself.

The river is called Sviyaga so whether on ancient name of a wild duck, or because strong winds and winds.

They say location is mermaid.

When in the 16th century Ivan the Terrible led the campaign to conquer the Khanate of Kazan, a long time, the campaign remained inconclusive, from Moscow to Kazan at the time the army was 2 months go, and when the soldiers came to the walls of the city, which had to storm, they had no neither energy nor enthusiasm.

Coming back from another unsuccessful campaign, the king saw at some distance from Kazan 'round the mountain "on the peninsula formed by the rivers Volga and Sviyaga. It was then that he came to the head and a great idea - to build on this hill fort and use it as a springboard for attacks against Kazan.

The layout of the fortress 16th century.

The question arose of how to build a fortress under the noses of the enemy so that the enemy did not burn her at the stage of construction. And then the king (or to one of his advisors) came even more brilliant idea: to make a fortress in a safe place and deliver unassembled! And in place quickly assemble!

Museum of the History Sviyazhska

In 1551, in the woods near Uglich was ready to cut down the whole fortress with walls, 40 towers, houses, warehouses, and even churches. Then it all numbered, disassembled and fused the Volga to Sviyazhska, where they gathered together for 28 days (pre-stall another 7 meters of soil from the top of the mountain to make a flat area).

Bell tower of the same monastery.

The fortress was useful in the sense that in it the army, as was intended, and were able to rest, still captured Kazan. And was not useful in the sense that it so no one ever assaulted. In the 18th century the wall was dismantled as unnecessary.

The city first flourished, then lost its value, and then the status of the city. In Soviet times, for Sviyazhska an unlucky streak: there was located a forced labor camp for the homeless and the colony. In the 30 years of the forces of the homeless were dismantled and destroyed almost all the temples Sviyazhska. In 1957, during the formation of the Kuibyshev reservoir overflowed Volga and the city was on the island (now the existing dam was built much later.) Almost the entire population with his left. Many were taken and their homes, so the empty island and allegedly looted. It continued to be in a mental hospital, which was in fact a political prison.

Exclusionary housing Holy Dormition Monastery (here was the "loony bin").

Reconstruction of the gate church

In 2009, we launched a comprehensive reconstruction Sviyazhska. He claims to be the entry in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites - although not as vibrant as well as a "historic landscape". As part of the reconstruction of temples and restored the few remaining 19th-century buildings, and the construction of new roads and houses for residents - such as a 19th century well, but, as usual in Russia, is not very good.

Reenactment club "Noldorin" from Zelenodol'sk entertains tourists

If reconstruction does not discard a couple of years Svijazhsk has a chance to become a major tourist destination, where the ships will go. Perhaps he will find even attractive and will again look to the river as a fabulous island-grad in which Pushkin himself acknowledged the similarity of the island of Buyan "The Tale of Tsar Saltan." In the meantime, it is more reminiscent of both construction and Potemkin village.

Building - the old and the old square four days

However, the island has some really interesting objects. And, of course, the beauty surrounding the place is amazing. For the sake of the view alone on the Volga expanses Svijazhsk worth visiting.

A small piece of tenements, remaining in his time undrowned

On the other side - Paul Sloboda

Cathedral of Our Lady of Joy of All Who Sorrow (1898-1906)

Here is how most of the temples after the work of Soviet homeless

And here's what a residential part Sviyazhska. New homes are much more comfortable to live in, but the flavor is lost completely.

Sergius Church. They say that preserved within the main frame brought more of Uglich in the 16th century